Keeping stats is part of every community project. Stats on produce grown, stats on produce gathered, stats on produce given, stats on volunteer hours, stats on people assisted…..
We keep a tally every day we are open of the food we gather AND the numbers of people we assist, we try to keep this low key as we are pretty firm about dignity with food access but every year over one month we get into a little more detail and ask a series of questions to gather demographic stats. Luckily for us our Board Member Amina Keygan is officially a Population Demographer and she is able to translate the data for us.
Here’s the information gathered over the month of May, 2017:
In May 2017, 1,703 people were fed food sourced from Produce to the People. This was up from April (1,043) figures by 660 people or an increase of 63%. The majority of people who sourced food from Produce to the People were women (76%), and were aged primarily between 35-39 years old and those aged over 65 years.
The majority of those assisted in May were from the 7320 postcode (63%), followed by those in the 7325 postcode (17%). Similarly, 63% of those assisted in May were pensioners, followed by those who were unemployed (19%) and carers (8%). Of those on a pension, almost half were on a disability pension, while one quarter were on the aged pension. The remaining clients were either sole parents or living on a carer’s pension.
Only 1% of clients who accessed the service were on incomes between $26,000-$40,000 per annum, while the remaining 99% lived on incomes of less than $25,000.
The ‘average’ client was single, followed by those who are living in coupled relationships, and the majority of those who access Produce to the People gather food for 2-3 people (45%), although a large proportion of clients are accessing food for five or more people (22%). Close to 60% of those coming to Produce to the People are accessing food for their families and themselves (19%), followed by those who collect food for friends unable to (14%). Close to half (49%) of all clients are accessing the food service weekly, followed by those who access the service twice weekly (14%).